CYO Coach’s Pledge
Upon my honor as a CYO Coach, I pledge myself to the following:
To guide each player to be a better Christian and a better citizen.
To be ethical and sportsmanshiplike in my coaching conduct
towards all athletes, officials, spectators and coaches.
To motivate each athlete to compete according
to the rules at all times.
To teach each athlete, especially through my own
examples, to be humble
and generous in victory and proud and courteous in defeat.
CYO Sports Volunteer Recommended Reading List
- Wooden - By Coach John Wooden (UCLA Bruins Basketball)
- The Double-Goal Coach By Jim Thompson (Positive Coaching Alliance)
- Just Let the Kids Play by Bob Bigelow, Tom Moroney and Linda Hall
- Values of the Game by Bill Bradley
- Character Development and Physical Activity by Brenda Bredemeier and David Shields
- My Losing Season by Pat Conroy
- Coaching for Character by Craig Clifford and Randolph M. Feezell
- Raising Cain by Dan Kindlon and Michael Thompson
- Coaching Catholic: Gospel Values in Youth Sports by Rev. Richard J. McGrath, OSA, Ph.D.
- The Parent’s Guide to Catholic Youth Sports by Rev. Richard J. McGrath, OSA Phd.
- Positive Coaching: Building Character and Self Esteem Through Sports by Jim Thompson
- Shooting in the Dark by Jim Thompson
- Reviving Ophelia by Mary Piper
- Spirituality of Sport: Balancing Body & Soul by Susan Saint Sing, Phd.
- Way To Go, Coach! by Ronald E. Smith and Frank L. Smoll
- Good Sports: The Concerned Parent’s Guide to Competitive Youth Sports by Rick Wolff